Back to Store | Products | Search Store | Store Specials | Mailing List

Allergic reaction to Duo surgical adhesive..

Post your questions, comments, and solutions regarding false eyelash adhesives.

Allergic reaction to Duo surgical adhesive..

Postby Adeline » Sat May 28, 2005 12:52 am

I used DUO Surgical Adhesive with strip lashes almost every other day or so for about 4 months, without any discomfort or problems. Then one day suddenly my eyes lids swelled up and the skin just above my lash line became red and itchy. Its just on the eyelid skin and does not affect inside the eye at all. Could it be that I developed an allergy to latex after several months of use? I'm quite confused. Since then I've not been able to use DUO Surgical Adhesive without developing the swelling and burning. sensation. I loved wearing my falsies and feel so incomplete without them. Pls help! Can someone recommend an alternative product that I could use with strip lashes? Thanks in advance! Adeline - divine_R_us@yahoo.co.uk
Adeline

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:51 pm

> Since then I've not been able to use DUO Surgical Adhesive without developing the swelling and burning. sensation. I loved wearing my falsies and feel so incomplete without them.

It is truely horrible to hear that... There is probably nothing you can do except to try a new glue.

> Can someone recommend an alternative product that I could use with strip lashes?

As far as I know..there are plenty of latex free glues on the market. In the US, one popular alternative is andrea glue...you want to buy the ones for the single lashes...not the ones for normal strip lashes. One good thing about andrea glue is that the ones for single lashes does not have latex as the ingredient.

Re: Allergic reaction to Duo surgical adhesive..

Postby MissTee » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:34 pm

I have this same problem.

A few months of wearing Lashgrip glue just fine almost daily wear. Then one day.. my eyelids get so swollen and puffy and red after a while with the lashes on, and when the lashes are taken off, the eyelids are even more swollen. Then I sleep it off and the next day, eyelid = deformed/still a bit puffy.

I also thought it might be due to my eyes getting an allergic reaction because I wore fake lashes too much. At first, I thought maybe it was the eyeliner reaction with the glue, but I bought new liner and nothing changes, still swells up. Then, I thought maybe it was this bottle of glue, and I bought new ones and still doesn't work.

I'm actually thinking of buying DUO surgical adhesive tomorrow to try that out.. however after reading this, I am not too sure what to do? And how this problem even developed when months ago I could wear lashes perfectly fine.
MissTee

Postby Grace @MM » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:39 pm

It looks like you have developed sensitivity or allergy to latex. This can happen to about 2% of people who are in constant contact with latex contained product. Natural rubber latex itself is very safe, however, it should not be used if you have latex sensitivity.

DUO surgical adhesive is more gentle and mild than other latex adhesive so it can still work for you. It is best to give some time for your skin to recover before restarting false eyelashes again with DUO surgical adhesive.

Almost all the strip eyelash adhesives on the market contains latex. Rubber latex is actually needed in strip lash glue for the adhesive to stay pliable. Individual eyelash adhesive can be used to apply strip eyelashes, however, you need to have decent natural eyelashes density to use this method since the strip eyelashes will be sitting on top of your natural lashes. Individual lash adhesive should not touch the skin; they are designed to bond falsies to your natural lashes.

As an alternative, you can try Revlon Self-Adhesive Lashes. This collection of lashes comes with self-adhesive lash band so you do not need adhesive to apply. The adhesive lash band is latex free.
Grace @MM

Postby Skouchie » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:05 pm

I had the same problem with the DUO glue. I gave myself about 2 weeks of no lashes and I bought Revlon non latex adhesive and my eyes still swell, get red and itchy and after a couple days the skin will harden and fall off...I don't know what I am reacting to because with QUO adhesive, I don't react but I don't like using it because it hardens and I can't reuse the lashes. What do I do? I need falsies.
Skouchie

Postby Amy » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:48 pm

[quote="Skouchie"]I had the same problem with the DUO glue. I gave myself about 2 weeks of no lashes and I bought Revlon non latex adhesive and my eyes still swell, get red and itchy and after a couple days the skin will harden and fall off...I don't know what I am reacting to because with QUO adhesive, I don't react but I don't like using it because it hardens and I can't reuse the lashes. What do I do? I need falsies.[/quote]

Below is the ingredient for Revlon Adhesive

INGREDIENTS: 2-Ethylhexyl Acrylate, Water, Methyl Methacrylate, Isobutyl Acrylate, Methacrylic Acid.

As Revlon adhesive is latex free, you may be allergic to other ingredients in the adhesive. We recommend other trying another brand of latex free adhesive such as Ardell Brush-On Adhesive that has a different mix of ingredients or try Revlon Self Adhesive lashes which does not need eyelash adhesive to apply. These lashes come with a pre-glued adhesive band which is latex free.

You can see the product at

http://www.madamemadeline.com/online_shoppe/search.asp?pg=1&stext=Revlon+Fantasy+Lengths+Self-Adhesive&stype=&scat=

http://www.madamemadeline.com/online_shoppe/search.asp?pg=1&stext=Revlon+Fantasy+Lengths+Self-Adhesive+Lashes&stype=&scat=
Amy
Madame Madeline
Email: forum@madamemadeline.com
URL: www.MadameMadeline.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Online Shoppe for Ardell, Andrea, Elise False Eyelashes
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Amy
Site Admin

Enter the middle number (hint '4') in box to the right --->: 0

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:29 am

I have the same issur. but I have been wearing falsies for over 4 years now. Do you think possibly it could be a clogged eye lash pore thingy?

Postby SharlizaA » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:05 am

I have been wearing false eyelashes for about 5 years. Initially I was able to wear latex based adhesive but started last year I have developed itchy eyelids from using latex based adhesive. I have tried Ardell's self adhesive strips but I prefer to use regular glue instead. Revlon Precision Adhesive did the trick for me. My lashes stay on great and no itch or irritation.
SharlizaA

Return to Lash Adhesives